you never can begin to live until you dare to die...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"The Epitome of a Hipster"



Another genius facebook moment [man, anyone want to show me how to do screencaps?]:

[insert Problematic's real name here]: I felt like the epitome of a hipster today - wandering around town in black skinny jeans, beat up converse, messed-up hair, iPod in one hand, and Peace Tea in the other.

My comment: Hipsters aren't supposed to have epitomes.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we know that's not true... don't we, Washingtonians?

Problematic and I have copious opportunities to brush up against proclaimed "hipsters:" Musicians' conferences [look at all the beanies!], art classes, and Seattle in general. Here, we occasionally lay clain to a homeschooled hipster.

Which leads me to direct you to this piquant article from Cracked.com[original link from my friend John Elliot. Please watch for some obscenity].

Keep in mind that I am almost laughing at myself here-- yes, I frequently make use of my beanies; yes, I have feather extensions; yes, I am a tree-hugger while being a anti-progressive government homeschooled Christian [no easy feat]; yes, I was a veggie for a year and still currently eat a very hipster diet; yes, I'm into playing my music.... and hoarding songs from eclectic bands. Problematic herself pretty much sums up hipster-awesomeness in its positive sense.

[my favorite quote]

"While most well adjusted members of society view music as an enjoyable addendum to life, perhaps a distraction or even a hobby, hipsters know that music is serious business. Having been picked on since a very young age by those who found their talents lay in athletics, theythey decided the ideal place to exercise influence was in the fields of listening to stuff and putting on clothes. Most people who aren't hipsters recognize these areas as naturally subjective, and generally not worth giving much of a **** about, which allows hipsters to win the argument for the simple reason that they're the only ones who care enough to notice that it's going on."


[That's just genius. That's humor, my friends]

As parting note, and perhaps deviating from the hilarious nature of the article, I feel as though it's important to point out that though feathers-in-hair may become as common as Ugg boots, if we continue to focus on "finding ourselves" through moving away from convential society, we'll still be letting that society define us.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Screencaps: Hit "ctrl" and hold it while hitting "print screen" (prtscn), usually in the upper right. Or if you have vista/7 you can search for "snipping tool" and just use that. =P

Bridget said...

Ohmygosh Grace! Guess what? I found some hipster glasses....I'm wearing them in my latest post. You should check it out. =D