you never can begin to live until you dare to die...

Friday, August 21, 2009

Pocahontas...

Despite various controversies concerning the Disney version of Pocahontas, is it just me, or is there something enchanting about this scene?


I love this one especially- I hold the designer in great esteem!
The mist, pan-pipes, contrast between Smith and Pocahontas- all the elements create some sort of magic that completely captivates me.


---A pre-movie sketch from the brainstorming process
I often think of this animated scene when I'm planning a new drawing. It has the same magic which would make me look at the pictures of a fairy-tale volume over and over again. And I want to capture that with my art.
And then a couple scenes later, John Smith learns Algonquin from ...Grandmother Willow? And they're in love? Wait, what?
Yes, I'll have to come back later with a post on who Pocahontas really was- and her amazing walk to Christianity.
But for now, I'll stare at a movie snapshot and try to figure out how to better watercolor mist...

2 comments:

Hannah Nicole said...

I don't really like the Disney Pocahontas, but that scene is VERY cool. :)

Hannah

Jare said...

I want to see the movie really bad...do you have it. I know that the story line is not real at all...but I really, really want to see it. I have seen little bits here and there. I love the songs and the artwork is just beautiful. I loved it when you had the last drawing as your profile. I honestly thought it was you, that you had sketched yourself!