you never can begin to live until you dare to die...

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Oceanoceanoceanocean



Took out my antique nautical button collection, grabbed an anchor button from a one-time navy blue uniform, strung it on a black ribbon, and tied it around my neck as a choker. Also, I'm packing my beach clothes in this ridiculously ugly carpet bag that sticks me right into a historical fiction novel. I'm breaking out "Master and Commander" to read on the road trip down. I have a sore throat and Mom and I have been joking that this trip is to "improve my constitution." Yes, I'll 'fess up. I've been reading Georgette Heyer lately [and not her mysteries]. We sound very Regency English all around the house, and Grace isn't feeling "quite the thing."

The story world is so alive for me right now. I've been sensitized to it these past few weeks, maybe.

And may I say that Oregon coast beaches are the most magnificent in the world? I say that despite my enduring loyalty to Washington. Both are better than East-coast beaches, which are cramped. I've yet to see a tropical beach.

But I don't know if I'll need to, as long as I can play in Oregon waves and stare at an Oregon horizon.

There is an astonishing lack of Hornblowers on Oregon beaches, though. I obviously need to sign up with the British Navy. Or maybe I'll get shanghai'd? That'd be more exciting.

6 comments:

Marian said...

The Oregon coast?! No fair--I want to go, too. ;)

You know, I once dreamed I was going to join the Navy, and then Lt. Bush gave me this really doubtful look. I don't blame him...

Gray said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

I know. But Bush has really high standards. You just kind of get that vibe from him, y'know?

His face is so amazing. I LOVE HIS DOUBTFUL LOOKS.

Marian said...

Me too!

Kyle said...

I hate to be the one to break it to you, Grace, but I would expect that there is an astonishing lack of Hornblowers everywhere.

Tragic, I know.

Unknown said...

Oregon coast?! Awesome. Although I really can't understand why Hornblower isn't there. What is he up to anyway? The least he could do is sail by or something. :)

Keilah said...

AW! Have a FUN FUN FUN time! I am thinking "beach" thoughts, and dreaming of walking through the little town, pushing a stroller. *Sigh* I wish I was there with you!